Monday, October 29, 2007

A gift horse's mouth

From the album Gabriel's weirdo plant




A neighbor in Bat 40 (the LHC offices) brought me one of these prolific plants when she saw me repotting mine. They start off like normal young plants, then become gargantuodd. She has an adult one seen here which is completely new-looking to me, and has already started a handful of young ones in its own pot. Mine is in the beginning stages of looking more adult already.

The leaves start as pale green shoots at the top of the stem, among pink fuzz. Then the stem grows past them and they develop white ribs and red leaf stems. The stalk takes on a thick, cactus-y look. Anybody got any ideas about this thing? It's hard to find the name of a plant without technical botanical descriptors in my head.

2 comments:

kumsval said...

i won't comment on this, being that the only plant i ever had (we decided to incorporate a living being, aka a plant, to the household recently) died in no more than two weeks.

actually those were two plants, one died in the first week, the second one, record breaking, stood stoically -with some aid, a stick and a string- for two weeks. and then it died too.

Dr. S said...

How is that not a comment?

Also: What are you lacking in compassion, with such a record? Maybe I could find some plants which could endure you. I think I take it as a challenge...